The FE221 Bridge Amp is a single-channel, non-isolated bridge amplifier designed to allow the PowerLab to connect to most DC bridge transducers, including commonly available force transducers, temperature probes, light meters, displacement transducers, pressure transducers, and similar devices. It is capable of supporting various powered transducers, and certain low impedance unpowered transducers.
The FE221 Bridge Amp will only operate with PowerLab /SP, /25, /30 and /35 or later units and is not suitable for use with other data acquisition systems.
The FE221 will only operate with Chart version 5.4.2 or later (Win & Mac) and LabChart 6 or later (Win & Mac). The FE221 Bridge Amp will not operate with earlier versions of Chart 5 or Chart 4. For an upgrade to LabChart please contact your nearest ADInstruments Representative for further information.
The FE221 will only operate with Scope for Windows (3.7.8 or later) or Scope for Mac (4.0.3 or later). The FE221 Bridge Amp will not operate with earlier versions of Scope. Free updates for Scope are available from our Downloads site. For further information or assistance please contact your nearest ADInstruments Representative.
- Number of inputs: 1 (Single), (8-pin DIN)
- Input configuration: Differential
- Amplification range: ±200 μV to ±5 V full scale in 14 steps (combined PowerLab and Bridge Amp)
- ±5 V
- ±2 V
- ±1 V
- ±500 mV
- ±200 mV
- ±100 mV
- ±50 mV
- ±20 mV
- ±10 mV
- ±5 mV
- ±2 mV
- ±1 mV
- ±500 μV
- ±200 μV
- Amplification accuracy: ±0.5% (combined PowerLab & Bridge Amp)
- Maximum input voltage: ±10 V
- Input impedance: 2 x 1 MΩ (Single-ended) 2 MΩ (Differential)
- Low-pass filtering: 1 Hz to 2 kHz in eight steps (software selectable)
- Frequency response (-3 dB): 2 kHz maximum at all gains with the 2 kHz filter selected.
- CMRR (differential): 100 dB at 50 Hz (typical).
- Input noise: <1μVrms referred to input at highest gain
Excitation and Zeroing
- Excitation voltage range: 0-20 volts DC (±10 V referred to ground), adjusted by external resistor
- Transducer drive current: ±45 mA maximum
- Zeroing circuitry: Software-controlled, either manual or automatic
- Internal offsetting range:
- ±10 V (1 V - 5 V range)
- ±1 V (100 mV - 500 mV range)
- ±100 mV (200 μV - 50mV)
- Internal offset resolution:
- 16 bit (internal DAC) ± 32 000 steps about 0V.
- 1, 2, 5 V -310 μV/step
- 100 mV, 200 mV, 500 mV - 31μV/step
- 200 μV to 50 mV - 3 μV/step
- I2C port: Power and control bus for front-end units. Supports a number of front-ends dependent on the PowerLab. Interface communications rate of ~50 Kbits/s.
- Model Dimensions and weight
- Single (ML221): 55 mm × 120 mm × 260 mm (2.2" × 4.7" × 10.2"); 1.2 kg
- Power requirements: (Without transducer attached)
- Single (ML221): 0.8 W
- Operating temperature range: 5 to 35 °C, 0 to 90% relative humidity (non-condensing)
ADInstruments reserves the right to alter these specifications at any time
Used for measuring force, displacement and physiological pressures from a wide variety of transducers, such as strain gauges used in force platforms, some respiratory transducers, blood pressure transducers and others. Ideal for multichannel isolated tissue studies.
- Low-drift instrumentation amplifier
- Software-controlled zeroing
- Wide amplification range (±200 µV to ±5 V in 14 steps) for use with a wide range of transducers
- A high impedance input (2 x 1 MΩ single-ended, 2 MΩ differential) ensures that the Bridge Amp will not load the transducer
- Overload light to indicate whether the attached transducer is operating correctly or incorrectly
- To connect transducers with Grass connectors, a MLAC11 Grass Adapter Cable can be purchased