Lt Integration with Canvas: Linking Lessons and Syncing Students and Grades
- 13 Jan 22
By integrating Lt with Canvas, you’ll provide students with a more seamless experience, as they are directed straight to the Lt lesson of interest. Integration also makes managing student accounts and grades easier, as it reduces reliance on .csv files.
Note: Before you can complete the steps in the video, you’ll need your IT team to integrate Canvas and Lt through the learning tool interoperability (LTI) standard. See here for more details.
Adding Content to Your Course
Once your Lt instance and Canvas site are integrated, you can utilize Canvas’ external tool function to create deep links to available Lt lessons. These links can be placed either:
- As an Assignment
- As an item in a Module
- As a link in the Rich Content Editor, for example, text in a page
Linking from an Assignment
1. Navigate to the course you want Lt content linked from
2. Select Assignments
4. Fill in the name and description details, including the points for the assignment
5. For the Submission Type select External Tool
6. Select Find
7. Select the Lt integration app from the list of applications in the Configure External Tool modal
Note: When you first open the Lt tool you will be asked to login with your Lt account. This will link your LMS and Lt accounts to determine what content is visible to you and what permissions you have. If you don’t yet have an Lt account, talk to an Instance Administrator for your Lt instance or your ADInstruments representative.
8.Select the [Lt course name] to see all Lt courses you have access to
9. Select the Lt lesson you wish to link to from within the selected Lt course
Note: Only those lessons that have been published in the Lt course will appear
10. Select Link Selected Content
11. Select Select
12. Check the checkbox for Load This Tool In A New Tab
13. Once all assignment details have been assigned, select Save & Publish or Save as appropriate
Linking from a Module
1. Add an External Tool item to the module of interest
2. Choose the Lt tool from the available list of External Tools
3. Select the [Lt course name] to see all Lt courses you have access to
4. Select the Lt lesson you wish to link to from within the selected Lt course
5. Select Link Selected Content
6. Select Add item
Linking from the Rich Content Editor
1. Navigate to an item in your course that utilizes the rich content editor, such as a page
2. While in the rich content editor, select the image or highlight the text you want to link to the Lt lesson
3. Select the apps button
4. Choose the Lt app from the list of apps
5. Select the [Lt course name] to see all Lt courses you have access to
6. Select the Lt lesson you wish to link to from within the selected Lt course
7. Select Link Selected Content
8. Select Save & Publish or Save, as appropriate
Syncing Students and Grades
Permissions and one-off authentication
The permissions your LMS and Lt accounts have will determine if you can access the Lt integration tool to sync students and grades. See the appendix for more details. Your Lt and LMS permissions are checked each time you attempt to sync students or grades. The first time you select Lt content to access the Lt integration tool, you will be prompted to sign in to your Lt account. Doing so will link your LMS and Lt accounts. The same applies to students when selecting a link to Lt content, though in their case they will be directed to the Lt lesson after their Lt and LMS accounts are linked. Thankfully, this is a one-off action for both staff and students and does not need to be repeated each time a link to Lt content is selected.
Note: Keep in mind that the student list for your LMS course can be synced with multiple Lt courses. It’s important to check that the linked Lt lesson you use to sync students is contained within the Lt course you wish your students to be synced to. The Lt course is displayed in the LTI tool after Connect to, e.g. the Lt course CSM101 is displayed as Connected to CSM101.
1. Select the link in your LMS course to the Lt lesson students are to access
2. Select Sync Students
3. Read and confirm that the changes presented in the Sync Students modal reflect what you wish to occur.
a.If the changes are as intended, select Sync Accounts Now
b.If the changes are not as intended, select Cancel and take action as necessary
Once Sync Accounts Now has been selected, students will be sent an email invite to the Lt course the linked Lt lesson is within.
- If this is the first time a student has been invited to Lt, they must accept their email invite and follow the steps to create an Lt account. After doing so, they can then successfully follow the link from the LMS course to the linked Lt lesson.
- If a student already has an Lt account, they can ignore the invitation email. They will be able to successfully follow links to any Lt lesson from within their LMS course, so long as they are enrolled in the Lt course that contains the linked lesson.
1. Select a link in your LMS course to the Lt lesson that contains the grades you wish to sync to your LMS gradebook.
2. Select Sync next to the Lt lesson in the Sync Grades section.
Any student who has linked their Lt and LMS accounts, and has a grade for an Lt lesson, will have that grade entered into the LMS gradebook. If no grade currently exists for that Lt lesson, a blank line in the LMS gradebook will still be added. This can be updated by syncing grades once the grade exists.
Are you interested in using Lt to deliver your course? Try Lt now – for free!
Lt comes complete with 500+ ready-to-use, fully customizable lessons and labs for teaching physiology, anatomy, biology, chemistry, medicine and nursing courses. Click below to instantly preview a selection of Lt lessons, or sign up for a 90-day free trial. View all 11 content collections »