LabTutor - Windows
LabTutor 4 Teaching Suite - The new benchmark in life science laboratory teaching.
The innovative LabTutor 4 Teaching Suite is an integrated solution for life science laboratory courses. In addition to providing better learning outcomes, it delivers outstanding time and cost savings for departments and institutions.
The software suite includes:
- LabTutor for a simple, easy-to-use interface for learning and comes with access to a wide range of courses and topics.
- LabTutor Server for seamless course administration
- LabAuthor for creation and customization of LabTutor content, including high definition multimedia
- LabTutor Online for access to LabTutor from any computer or mobile device with an internet connection
View our range of LabTutor Experiments
What your peers think about LabTutor
|Zimmerman, M., Eckert, G. P. Enhanced student experience: an analysis of subjective evaluation and objective learning success after the transformation of a pharmaceutical physiology course.
Advances in Physiology Education 34:1-10, 2010.
|Vazquez, J. AY & Software Reviews. The American Biology Teacher 70(3): 173-174, 2008.|
|Read more of what your peers are saying about LabTutor on our Customer Testimonials page.|
Student-centered independent learning - LabTutor
LabTutor is a student-centred, independent, all-inclusive program, with an ever-growing collection of experiments and exercises. Students are able to cover the scientific background and objectives, follow clear instructions, record and analyze real data and submit reports, all in a single program.
LabTutor allows students to complete experiments with minimal supervision. Educators report that they can double students numbers within a lab class without requiring additional supervisory staff.
A wide range of LabTutor Experiments are available. LabTutor Experiments are supplied on the LabTutor software DVD with PowerLab Teaching Systems. They cover topics such as:
New and revised experiments are added on a regular basis, so keep an eye on the LabTutor Experiments pages for updates.
Improve your students' learning outcomes and save time and money.
Single-point course management - LabTutor Server
Set it up once and reap the rewards of endless efficiency. LabTutor Server provides a single-point management interface for educators. This interface allows educators to manage any number of courses, classes, students and experiments from a dedicated server machine. All student lists, student data, course experiments and submitted reports can be accessed from one convenient location.
Entire student lists can be imported to LabTutor Server from external databases, so there's no need for repetitive data entry.
LabTutor Server can be fully administered remotely and provides a central location for backup of student data, and management of student access. LabTutor Server also makes data available to students outside the laboratory when LabTutor Online is activated.
Save time administering course content and setting up student lists.
Customize the course content - LabAuthor
If the preconfigured LabTutor experiments do not meet your course requirements exactly, they can easily be customized with LabAuthor authoring tools. LabAuthor also allows educators to create new experiments.
Using LabAuthor, educators can edit and create:
- Experimental background information
- Setup instructions
- Data acquisition windows
- Analysis tables and graphs
- Report questions
LabAuthor enable multimedia files to be added to LabTutor Experiments. You can also add caption tracks to your videos.
Features you can add to your experiments include:
- High definition video files
- Graphics (including diagrams and photos)
- High quality audio files
- Multiple choice questions
- Pop-up boxes and light boxes
- Sub pages
Get total freedom in the content you deliver.
Want to share the LabTutor Experiments you've designed? Visit our forum and post them!
Remote access to LabTutor - LabTutor Online
LabTutor Online reduces the time students need to spend in the lab and allows access from any location with Internet. LabTutor Online can be accessed from any computer with an internet connection via any popular browser.
When LabTutor Online is activated, students use their login name and password to access LabTutor experiments outside the lab.
Using LabTutor Online, students can:
- Preview an experiment and read background material before a lab class
- Review a complete experiment, answer questions and submit a report off-site
- Start and finish LabTutor Experiments entirely outside the lab (provided experiments do not require data recording)
With LabTutor Online, educators can:
- Track students' progress through experiments
- Review student reports from any computer with Internet
- Reduce time spent in the lab by assigning reports as homework
- Set custom LabTutor Experiments (without data acquisition component) as assignments to be completed by students outside lab time
All that is needed is a computer with an Internet connection.
Save money on numerous resources
- Staff - Students work independently and require practically no assistance to set up the equipment, carry out the experiment or perform analysis and reporting. Student-centered learning provides better outcomes. Run larger laboratory classes and produce better learning outcomes without extra staff.
- Equipment - using LabTutor Online, students can preview materials before the lab, as well as completing data analysis and submitting lab reports off-site. This means the lab is used for experimentation purposes only. Run more laboratory classes without the extra expense of additional equipment.
- Printed Materials - LabTutor virtually eliminates the need for printed lab instructions, reference material or printed reports. Everything is available electronically and is saved to a central location. Join institutions that reported annual savings totalling thousands of dollars.
LabTutor 4 requires Internet Explorer 7.0 or later for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) and .NET 2.0, or Internet Explorer 7.0 or later and .NET 3.0 for Windows Vista or Windows 7.
LabTutor Teaching Suite Best Practice Guide
Please read the following document before installing LabTutor Teaching Suite 4. This document describes the recommended supported workflows for the LabTutor Teaching Suite and addresses frequently asked questions. It is of best use when considering what IT infrastructure is required to run LabTutor Suite, how the course will be run using LabTutor Suite, and how it will be administered on an ongoing basis. Download: LabTutor Teaching Suite Best Practice Guide.pdf(2.6 Mb)
For Use with ADInstruments Teaching Systems
LabTutor software is optimized for use with ADInstruments Teaching Systems featuring 15T, 26T PowerLab data acquisition units. Other hardware configurations may be used for certain sets of experiments. Contact your nearest ADInstruments representative for more information.