Include NeuroExplorer along with your purchase of any extracellular amplifier and DAQ system if you wish to perform a thorough analysis of single unit spike train data. NeuroExplorer has been cited in hundreds of research studies and is one of the foremost software tools available specifically for single unit analysis.
- Commonly used spike-train analysis tools, including coherence analysis, place cell analysis, perievent rasters, rate histograms, cross-correlograms with shift predictors and many more.
- Publication quality graphing output in 2D and 3D.
- Convenient export of summary results tables for each analysis.
Our Support Articles contain answers to common questions, how-tos, solutions, and documentation.
Training and Workshops
Maximize time and resources with our customized training services delivered at your facility, on your equipment, on your terms.
Details and Tech Specs
Analytical functions and plots
- Interspike interval histograms
- Rate histograms
- Perievent histograms
- Perievent rasters
- Crosscorrelograms with shift-predictors
- Joint peristimulus histograms
- Burst analysis
- Spectral densities and spectrograms
- Perievent histograms versus time
- Place cell analysis
- Cumulative activity
- Instantaneous frequency
- Interspike intervals versus time
- Poincare maps of interspike intervals
- Epoch counts
- Coherence analysis
NeuroExplorer creates fully editable publication-quality figures:
- 2D and 3D black-and-white and color graphs
- Unlimited number of graphs per figure
- Tables of graphs. Example: all pairwise correlations within a group of neurons.
- Completely customizable figure elements: colors, fonts, tick sizes, etc.
- Unlimited custom graphics elements: lines, arrows, boxes, text labels
- Single-page and multi-page printing
- Export of graphics to other applications via the clipboard or Windows metafiles
Two numerical results tables (Results and Summary) are produced for every analysis. The Results table contains:
- Bin location
- Bin counts/frequencies/probabilities
- Shift-predictor values and confidence limits for crosscorrelogram analyses
- Joint PST matrix for Joint PSTH analysis
- Other analysis-specific results
The Summary table contains:
- The number of spikes used in analysis
- Minimum, maximum, mean, standard deviation and standard error of mean of the histogram
- Expected values and the confidence limits for the PST and crosscorrelogram analyses
- Other analysis-specific statistics
All the numerical results or the Summary table can be transferred to Excel or MATLAB.
Repeated measures trials
- NeuroExplorer provides extensive support for the analysis of the trial-based experiments:
- Trials of variable duration are supported
- Trials can be selected using the trial list
- Trials can be tagged according to various criteria. Example: tag the trials that contain the correct response.
- Analysis can be performed using all the data or only the data from the specified trial set.
- Several trial sets can be used in one analysis. Example: calculate the crosscorrelograms for the correct-response trials and the incorrect-response trials and display them side-by-side.
A powerful built-in scripting language allows you to automate many analysis tasks:
- Open and close data files
- Select data for analysis
- Specify analysis parameters
- Specify graphics options
- Apply analysis templates
- Save results as a text file
- Send data and results to Excel
- Send data and results to Matlab
- Execute Matlab scripts
- Modify existing spike trains and other data
- Create new events and spike trains
- Read and write text files
Working With Other Applications
NeuroExplorer is designed as an open analysis environment. You can use other programs to extend the capabilities of NeuroExplorer:
- Copy data to Excel, edit the data in Excel and paste it back to NeuroExplorer
- Generate data in Matlab and transfer it to NeuroExplorer
- Copy numerical results to Excel or Matlab for post-hoc analysis
- Execute Matlab scripts from NeuroExplorer to do the post-processing
- Control NeuroExplorer from any application that supports ActiveX interface
See the full list of system requirements for ADInstruments software.
Native support for Mac OS unavailable.