How to Build the PowerLab C Set-Up: PowerLab C, Front-End and Instrument Interfaces
- 28 May 22
Our step-by-step guide to getting started with the PowerLab C and the C series System
Our Research Product Manager, Sebastian White, demonstrates how to build a simple system containing the PowerLab C, Instrument Interface, and Front End Interface.
- PowerLab C.
- C-series Front-End Interface.
- C-series Instrument Interface.
- Bio Amp.
- USB-C cables.
- BNC cable.
- USB-PD cable (optional).
- Computer with LabChart Software installed
- Connect the analog cable of the BioAmp to the Front End interface.
- Connect the USB-C cable from the Front End interface to one of the four numbered ports on the back of the PowerLabC.
- Connect the Instrument Interface to the PowerLab C using a USB-C cable.
- Using the included mains cable, connect PowerLab C to a power supply and turn on the power switch on the back of the PowerLab C.
- Alternatively, you can use a USB-PD compliant battery connected to the auxiliary power port on the PowerLabC, or you can power the system directly from your PC if enough wattage is available.
- Connect the PowerLab C to your PC using a USB-C cable.
- You should observe:
- A blue power LED on the PowerLab if mains powered, or magenta if auxillary powered, or cyan if PC powered.
- Power LED on your instrument interface should be lit up.
- Flashing status LED on your Bio Amp. Please note that different front-end devices behave differently here.
- Now you can connect your instrument interface to your lab instrument using a BNC cable, and connect your Bio Amp to your subject.
- Launch your LabChart software.
- All devices should be automatically detected by LabChart.
- The Status LED on the PowerLabC should turn green.
- In LabChart, navigate to the Devices and Channels Dialog, where you can map different settings in your recording to your selected piece of hardware.
- You can change all your hardware settings from the Input Amplifier Dialog in the channel dropdown menu.
- The Front End interface and the Bio Amp will appear with their own specific settings dialog.
- Note that the mains filter option enabled by the PowerLab C is also available there. Similar options can also be found in LabChart Lightning.
- In this video, only two of the four ports available on PowerLab C are in use. You can easily add additional devices using the described method here to match the needs of your research application.
- You are now ready to record data from the PowerLab C system in this setup.