ConfigSoft Setup Guide for Optogenetics Telemetry
- presented by Sarah-Jane Guild, Scientific Consultant at ADInstruments
- How to input the serial number and transmission channel of your telemeter and SmartPad,
- What optical parameters and available and how to set them,
- How to enable and disable the LED light on other optical fiber.
- Optogenetics Biopotential Telemeter
- SmartPad (one per telemeter)
- Configurator System (1 per laboratory)
- Instrument Interface plus PowerLab C OR PowerLab 8/35
- LabChart or LabChart Lightning software
Recommended Supporting Videos:
- How to use ConfigSoft with Kaha Sciences Rat Telemetry System »
- How to set up the Rat Telemetry System »
Configuring an Optogenetics Biopotential Rat Telemeter
How to input your telemeter serial number and transmission channel
- First, place the telemeter on the SmartPad to activate the telemeter. The status light on the front of the SmartPad will turn green and the optical fiber will begin flashing.
- Click 'Rat Telemeter' on the ConfigSoft home screen
- Enter the Serial Number of the telemeter (this can be found printed on the packaging and on the telemeter case), and the current transmission channel of the telemeter.
- Note: If the telemeter is new, the channel will automatically be set to setup channel.
- If the Serial Number is unknown, click 'Search for Telemeter'. This will present you with a list of active telemeters in the area.
- Double click on the serial no. of the appropriate telemeter. This will automatically enter the details into ConfigSoft.
- Once selected, click the 'Optogenetics Telemeter Setup' button. The configurator and ConfigSoft will check and confirm that it is an Optogenetics Telemeter
- The optogenetics parameter window will then open
Optogenetics parameters and how to set them
- When the optogenetics parameter window first opens, it will display the current optical parameters loaded on the telemeter as well as the telemeter model and serial number.
- Parameter options are based on a Theta Burst Stimulation (TBS) protocol. Using this, you can select the parameter values that are best suited to your application.
- Pulse Width (1-254 ms) - length of each light pulse
- Number of pulses (1 - 254) - number of pulses within a burst
- Pulse Cycle (1-65534 ms) - time between each pulse
- Burst cycle (1-65534 ms) - time between each burst
- Light intensity (0-100%) - strength of each light pulse, 100% being ≥30 mW/mm2
- ConfigSoft will not let you set mathematically invalid parameters, for example a pulse width that is longer than a pulse cycle.
- When you have loaded your preferred parameters, click 'Set Parameters'.
- ConfigSoft will send the parameters to the telemeter, a window will appear confirming this, and then the telemeter will reboot.
- Once the telemeter has been rebooted, the new optogenetics parameters will be loaded and begin.
How to turn the LED light function 'on' and 'off'
- Within the optogenetics parameter window in ConfigSoft, you have the option to 'Enable' and 'Disable' the LED light on optical fibre of your telemeter. Disabling the LED light is useful in situtations such as during sugical implantation, or when wanting to recording a biopotential signal without stimulation at the beginning of your experiment. In these cases, you will disable the light using ConfigSoft before your experiment, then you can go into ConfigSoft and re-enable the LED when desired. The LED can be enabled or disabled at anytime within the optogenetics parameter window.
- As with other optogenetics paramater updates, once you have chosen to enable or disable the LED light, click 'Set Parameters'. ConfigSoft will send the new command to the telemeter and provide confirmation, the telemeter will then reboot and the new command to enable ofrdisable will take effect.
Completing your telemeter setup
For remaining steps on how to complete your telemeter setup in ConfigSoft, including changing transmission channels, using Safe Mode, running diagnotics, cohousing mode and more, please watch this video:
How to use ConfigSoft with Kaha Sciences Rat Telemetry System »
Kaha telemeters: Surgical Videos and Webinars »
Introduction to Optogenetics for Neuroscience Research »
Benefits of using telemetry in research »
Five neuroscience applications using Kaha Sciences Telemetry »