Test lung function, airflow, and airway resistance
The Spirometer is a precision differential pressure transducer for measurements of respiration flow rates. ADInstruments provides spirometry accessories for a range of respiratory experiments.
Spirometers are used for a variety of lung and respiratory function tests. They measure the amount of air a subject can breathe in and out of their lungs, and how hard and fast they can breathe out. In other words, they measure and test overall lung function or lung capacity.
Spirometers are essential for research that assesses respiration or that examines:
- Restrictive or chronic obstructive lung disease
- Airway resistance
- Pulmonary function
ADInstruments' Spirometer is a precision differential pressure transducer, which is used together with a pneumotach flow head to measure the flow and volume of air that can be inhaled and exhaled. Therefore, it is useful for lung function indications and assessing breathing patterns associated with conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
The Spirometer provides an output signal proportional to airflow, which can be recorded by a C Series Front End Interface or traditional PowerLab data acquisition system and analysed using LabChart’s Spirometry Extension. The Spirometry Extension displays and calculates respiratory parameters such as:
- Tidal volume
- Minute ventilation
- Respiratory rate
- Peak inspiratory flow (PIF)
- Peak expiratory flow (PEF)
- Forced vital capacity (FVC)
- Forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV1)
By selecting a suitably sized respiratory flow head, our Spirometer can be used with small animals (mice and rats), large animals and humans. Additionally, it can also be used with the Heated Pneumotach 800L with Heater Controller, which has its own heated flow head to eliminate condensation, making this combination ideal for continuous human exercise studies.
The Spirometer is also supplied when purchasing the Exercise Physiology System or Exercise Physiology Kit.
For analysis, use the Spirometer with LabChart analysis software to seamlessly derive respiratory parameters based on flow and volume. These include VE, VT, PIF, PEF, FVC and FEV1. LabChart has a free software add-on for Spirometry, that lets you easily select flow units as either μL/s, mL/s or L/s.
- Precise differential pressure measurement that is used to determine respiration flow rates with a suitable flow head selection.
- Provides a range of amplification required to correspond with a variety of flow rates, from fractions of a liter per minute (mice and rats) to a thousand liters per minute (adult humans during exercise).
- Additional programmable software filtering to remove unwanted background noise or signal frequencies.
- Software controlled zeroing for offset removal.
- Easy detection and extraction of spirometry parameters from recorded data.
Our Support Articles contain answers to common questions, how-tos, solutions, and documentation.
Training and Workshops
Maximize time and resources with our customized training services delivered at your facility, on your equipment, on your terms.
Details and Tech Specs
- Connection type: Two pipes for airflow physically connected by plastic tubes to flow head
- Max Range: ±1 Inches H2O
- Amplification ranges: ±20 mV to ±500 mV full scale in 5 steps (combined PowerLab and Spirometer)
|±500 mV||±1||15.6 μV|
|±200 mV||±0.4||6.25 μV|
|±100 mV||±0.2||3.125 μV|
|±50 mV||±0.1||1.56 μV|
|±20 mV||±0.04||0.625 μV|
- Max Input Pressure: ±28.1 Inches H2O (7 kPa)
- Temperature Drift: 0.05 % of full scale per °C
- Max zero pressure offset: < 1 % full scale, software removable
- Response time: 1 ms (10-90 % full scale)
- Linearity: ±0.5 % full scale
- Repeatability: ±0.25 % full scale
- Long Term Stability: ±0.5 % full scale
- Warm Up Time: ~ 2 minutes
- Low-pass Filtering: 1, 10 and 100 Hz (software selectable) using fourth order Bessel filter.
- I2C port: Provides control and power.
- Interface communications rate of ~50 Kbits/s.
- Dimensions (h × w × d): 55 mm × 120 mm × 260 mm (2.2" × 4.7" × 10.2")
- Weight: 1.2 kg (2 lb 11 oz)
- Power requirements: 1.5 W
- Operating temperature range: 5 to 35 °C, 0 to 90% humidity (non-condensing)
ADInstruments reserves the right to alter these specifications at any time.
|Operating System||Recommended Hardware||Alternate Hardware|
|LabChart Lightning||Windows / Mac||PowerLab C + Front End Interface||Traditional PowerLab|
|LabChart 8||Windows / Mac||PowerLab C + Front End Interface||Traditional PowerLab|