Calibration Walkthrough for PV using Echo
- 20 Jun 22
Changes in ventricular function for both normal and diseased models can be studied through analysis of ventricular pressure-volume loops. The gold standard method for measuring direct, real-time, complete cardiac function, particularly myocardial contractility measurements.
The PV Loop Analysis Module in LabChart 8 offers smart presets for different animals and streamlined workflows guiding you step-by-step from calibration through to analysis.
If using PV Loop version 2.3 or above, you can make use of your echocardiogram unit in PV Loop analysis to calibrate the volume channel using fewer steps. This gives you the option to use known volume values (end-systolic, end-diastolic and stroke volume) from an echocardiogram help with your PV Loop volumed channel calibration
How to calibrate the volume channel using Echo in the LabChart PV Loop Module
- Ensure you have PV Loop version 2.3 or above.
- Go to ‘Setup PV Loop’ before selecting ‘Echo Volume Fit’ from the Workflow dropdown.
- Calibrate the pressure channel as normal and then open the ‘Volume Calibration’ step.
- You can sample some calibration data directly from the workflow if needed, or use existing data if you are calibrating post-acquisition. Ensure that loops are being correctly detected using the detector settings dialog.
- Use the ‘Calibrate’ dropdown to select a combination of end-systolic, end-diastolic or stroke volume that are provided by your echocardiogram software.
- Make a selection of calibration data in the ‘Volume’ channel and click the calibration button in the workflow. The software will analyze the pressure-volume loops in your selection and calculate the appropriate value from the data.
- Enter the corresponding known volume value from your echocardiogram and change the units if needed. You can now do the same for the second parameter.
- Click the ‘Apply’ checkbox to enable the calibration. You can see the calibration has been applied to the ‘Volume’ channel in LabChart and the’ View Windows’ are updated.
- In the ‘Chart View’, select the data you want to analyze for pressure-volume loops. Open the ‘Analyze’ step and click the button to analyze your data selection.
- The ‘View’ windows will update to show the results of your PV Loop analysis.
Want to know more?
Find out more about the PV Loop Analysis Module and the new features by visiting the PV Loop help in LabChart or check out the links below:
- More about the PV Loop Module
- Ventricular Pressure-Volume as a research application
- PV Loop support articles